View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 08:31 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
1. 1966 B&W 14N22 chassis, 'N' model. It has the original SC300 remote, and a neat piece of glass that was cut exactly to fit the top. This is the newest B&W console I've ever seen with a remote.

2/3. Both 1967 25" colors, 23XC36 chassis, 'X' model. These use the SC600 remote with the tint control. I only have one remote between the two of them. One has the green halo, the other green dots. I'd like to find CRTs for both. That white cabinet is a rare one, never seen of those before…

4. 1970 25" color,12A12C52 chassis, SC600 remote. I think this one is the most interesting. I included a chassis pic. It's a hybrid set that uses just one module in the color circuitry. And it has this unusual tuner I hadn't seen before either. The power tuning will cycle through the 12 VHF stations, and 6 preset UHF stations. Missing the remote.

I haven't had time to even test out any of these. I still need to find a way to get that 1970 model (which is super heavy) down into the basement, because I need to do some work on the top of the cabinet.
The 1970 model has a very unusual type of UHF tuner, Zenith's Ultramatic. This could be set to stop on local VHF and possibly UHF channels as well. Your set is cycling through all 18 positions probably because the automatic tuning hasn't been set up yet; I don't think this model had "signal seek" tuning, in which the tuner would automatically find active stations in the user's area, not unlike Cadillac car radios of the '50s with the "Wonder Bar" electronic signal seeker that would find local AM stations. Signal seeking TV tuners didn't appear, IIRC, until the 1970s or so (I had one, an Emerson 19" table set, in the '90s that worked well, but would shut itself off during thunderstorms--even if the storm didn't cause a power outage; this set also had a feature that would shut it completely off 15 minutes after the TV station to which it was tuned signed off, a feature I have not seen since), although many remote TV tuners could be set manually to stop on local TV channels. On some Zenith sets, this was accomplished by a selector wheel with tabs for the 12 VHF channels. The tabs for the area's local channels would be set to protrude from the wheel such that they would activate the tuner; at least one Zenith TV I can think of, the 13" portable with the SC100 remote tuner, could even be set to shut the entire TV off by selecting one channel. I haven't seen that feature in any other make of TV (or Zeniths, for that matter) since. I think Doug has at least one of these portables in his collection.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.