View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
Nope. Bad screen either by breakage, tab debonding, or bad COF chip means the end of the road.

Shipping a screen or the whole TV is expensive, and you won't know if the person who removed it wasn't careful with the those flex ribbons. If you have the room, put it aside and troll Facebook Marketplace for another with bad LEDs or better yet, bad main board.

If it's any consolation, even pros break screens.

Another issue I forgot to mention is that some screens use some tenacious double sided tape along the edge to hold the screen down to the plastic forms. Lifting the screen without gently heating and lifting the tape will also crack the screen.

I do the larger ones for a competitor of mine (he's a good friend LOL). I did a 75" Hisense for him that was about a year old, and I used four suction cups spread out along the screen and attached them together with rope to form a single handle.

Even when lifting the screen out, the four cups raise four hills on the screen - I've never seen a thinner screen at any screen size. How it didn't crack was a miracle. It took a lot longer to do this 75" than we budgeted for, and we've put that model on the do not fly list even though we got away with the repair. Just too much time for the replacement price point of this bottom feeder.

John
Well That sucks, because this was a Roku Ready TV that came with a Roku Streaming Stick bundled with it that I thought maybe I could repurpose it to be used with my 60" Vizio I have currently, but apparently the Roku sticks that came bundled with Roku Ready TVs could only be used with those TVs which sucks.