View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 04:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have several of the older tube type Transoceanics, thus I have nothing with an FM band, but I can say a couple of potentially valuable things here. FIRST, most often than not, alignment isn't going to be the cause of a complete loss of signal. That is unless someone else suspected the same or for some other reason got into the chassis and randomly started turning the alignment adjusters to god knows where. So, I wouldn't touch any of that.

The FM band is a separate and fairly unique process that almost has nothing to do with the AM and shortwave bands. So if you lost all AM, sound then you would get a schematic and systematically trace the AM circuit (via a signal tracer) to find where the loss occurs. Then you are at least in the vicinity of where the component is that is causing the signal loss. I'm no expert by any means, so I'm going to hope that some of the more seasoned vets pop in and elaborate on what I am saying. My experience has been to have a set with AM and lack FM more than vice versa.

As for Ebay, I could write a book on the dirty tricks and deception that occurs there, particularly with electronics. It's really crazy what people get away with there. I mean some would say IT WORKS or POWERS UP because a pilot light comes on. Of course it's often best that nobody has applied wall current to something at all and run a serious risk of frying a power transformer (if applicable) or some other expensive component. Good luck with this. Let us know what you find.