View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 09:18 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
These are EXACTLY what my little "sub-collection" is. I have about a dozen of these in different cabinet colors and some with A/V in (both RCAs and 1/8").

Most of these just suffer "abuse"...and generally don't see them fail on their own. ALOT of them do have that buzz in the audio (still dunno where that is coming from). When you can find one with good clean audio...has the 3" speaker rather than the 2" one, these usually DO dial in quite well. I have a couple that have PHENOMENAL picture geometry and sharpness...and are QUITE watchable.

I've scrapped ONE set that had a real mysterious horizontal instability after like a minute (likely caps, but never could find which one). That set gave it's life though to save four other sets of that same general "reference design":

Flyback/HOT.....rescued one with the board cracked for like 3" across...ended up having a bad flyback that then killed the little HOT next to it. Works after carefully dremelling and bridging all the traces..replacing the flyback and hot from the doner set.

CRT......One had a perfectly fine picture, but I didn't like the very odd "cool" bluish CRT it had. It didn't match all the others. The doner set's CRT did match the others.

Yoke.....One set had a picture in the shape of a "parralelogram"..and I couldn't figure out WHERE that was coming from. Turned out it's yoke looked like someone tried to twist it off without loosening the clamp. Doner set's yoke gave it a perfectly square crosshatch again.

Cabinet.....Doner set's cabinet was used for a funny "paint project". I'm part of a car forum (soulhamsters.com)..and the question came up about those cans of "chrome" and "gold" cans of spray paint. Doner set's cabinet was painted half chrome and half gold with a little red pinstripe....just to see what these two colors REALLY looked like (don't bother). The set DID come out fun though...and that cabinet ended up being home to one that was REAL busted up, but working perfectly.

The pics are of a little over half of 'em (all that would fit in a neat little row on that Ikea credenza thing)...with one pic of the one I did the chrome/gold treatment to. I keep them ALL tuned to my little in-house transmitter, so one push of a remote X-10 controller will have them ALL on with the same picture. I know...WEIRD, but I think it looks cool :-P

I'll take better pics of this someday when I can have ALL of them in one place. This collection is fun to see when ALL of them are together and on. I think I have like 14 now, and they all don't fit here unless I start crowding 'em.

It's nice to have someone bring up the point that these were sort of the VERY last reference design for B/W TV sets. I didn't really know how to classify this little part of my collection, because it was an "accidental" collection. I find these...buy them for real cheap if I notice an unusual one. Find them in SORRY condition and use them to practice my TV repair "kung-fu"...and then suddenly, I have a COLLECTION of them :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Row 1.jpg (55.1 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Row 2.jpg (62.1 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Chrome-Gold.jpg (59.6 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by AiboPet; 06-23-2012 at 09:24 PM.