View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard View Post
Of course I would like the specifics! :P And I'm sure a lot of VKers would be interested in that also. Well all came across some less than stellar looking cabinets that would need a good refinishing.

I would say that cataract removal is very ballsy and especially if you did it with the heat gun...
I will ask my dad next time I see him

Cataract procedure was as follows:

Remove yoke, convergence coils, purity rings (in opposite order!)

Remove CRT, (from front on a Moto) place face down on old sleeping bag then remove x-Ray shield, degaussing coil, mounting hardware.

Everything removed was photographed before removal so the orientation not lost. Dirt not cleaned off neck of tube to allow easy repositioning of various parts.

Worm gear on band photographed so that I knew how tight to make it after process.

Next step put a bunch of rocks in the bottom of a large garbage can, and put bare tube into it facing up. Wrap tube in black plastic garbage bags, and let sit in the sun for several hours.

Once it got good and hot I removed tape from around the edge and I used the "guitar string" method to slice it off. Basically just attached a guitar string to two 6" dowels (sticks our clematis came with cut up) used as handles. Slice off the safety glass like as if it's a cheese knife. This part was surprisingly easy.

Then clean off the old silicone (a nasty mess, I used acetone alcohol, water, windex, fingernails, plastic scrapers and plenty of elbow grease)

After everything is clean I affixed the safety glass with four pieces of double sided tape, siliconed around the edge, and then when that was dry taped it with book binding tape.

After than assembly was reverse of disassembly (got that phrase from Haynes

Note: to prove I am not bold

I did this on days ranging from 25-30 degrees Celcius (Hot!), and wore steel toe boots, and Arctic arc flash rated coveralls and winter jacket zipped up to my chin to cover my neck (heaviest stuff I own, from working in a diamond mine) along with a face shield and safety glasses and heavy leather gloves

After each major step I took a break and let it sit for a while to ensure its stable

Would definitely do this again.

Note guitar string method works only for green type cateract, the heat gun is for RCA tubes.

Thanks to all past and present members here for getting this down to a science before I attempted it

Last edited by maxhifi; 08-13-2016 at 11:13 AM.