Thread: Hi
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 04:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlabs View Post
Hi Judge,

Tell us more about your Siesta repair. I did a Holiday for my first TV and it was a journey. Never would have gotten it running without the folks on this site.
It was almost completely plain-sailing, though I needed the help of one of the guys from ARF to trouble-shoot a problem I was having. I bought it from another member of ARF local to me, un-restored. My Avatar shows what it was like after I cleaned the outside. Before I started restoration I used a modified version (to take into account the lower filament voltage) of the circuit described here to perform a partial check of the CRT, and it seemed good, so then I basically scoured the internet for information. There was this site mainly and a few youtube videos. So I decided that I should get the original factory manual as well as the SAMs. I also bought a wire-wrap tool so that I could unwrap and re-wrap all of the 50-odd connections to the main PCB. Then I just took it apart, cleaned it up and did an inventory of all of the capacitors I would need and checked all the resistors. I ended up replacing about 10-15 resistors that had drifted out of spec and I replaced all the couplates with a set from Crist Rigotti, in addition to all the electrolytics and black-beauties.

So then I re-attached all the wires, powered it up and there was no video and the sound was always at full volume. Someone from ARF ('analog.tv') helped me figure out that there was no horizontal oscillation, which I tracked down to a bad couplate. I replaced it with the old one and everything was good - apart from the sound.

I left everything out on the bench until I got a replacement couplate from Crist. I didn't really fix the sound until I was putting everything back together - I had re-attached one of the 50 wires to the wrong point! I also detached a power lead from the clock switch while I was putting it all back together. So I had to take it all out again to re-attach that lead to the clock properly. BTW here is a video.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dirty.jpg (81.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg clean.jpg (88.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg work.jpg (82.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg one.jpg (112.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by judge; 12-13-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Audiokarma