View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 02:19 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Best pray the starter never goes in that Northstar engine , As a fun fact I'll let MadMan tell you all where it's located ....
lol yeah it's ridiculous! It's in the valley of the engine, under the intake manifold. But actually the starter is probably the easiest thing to change on that car. While in concept it seems like it'd be a pain in the ass, it's only about 6 bolts, lift up the whole intake with everything on it, and the starter is right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
The type of people who owned cars like that were the sort that only opened the hood when the "low oil pressure" light came on. They'd dump in a couple quarts of store brand 10w30 from Dollar General and let it roll. Those Cadillacs, when at the hand of folks like that, went downhill fast.
Exactly.

I should also mention - now that it comes to mind - that Northstar crankshaft position sensors go bad. I don't want to say 'frequently' because I've probably never changed them on a single car twice, but they are not the longest-lived component. Now those are a pain in the ass to change. And there are two of them, in the same place. So, redundancy, yay! On your car, being a 2000, it will probably throw a code that says crankshaft position sensor or something, but maybe on yours, and always on the older ones, the PCM had no direct connection to the sensors, and instead would throw a code like ignition pulse 24x or something weird ignition related like that. Because it read the sensors through the ignition module, and the PCM would think the ignition module was messing up. The engine will probably misbehave if the sensors go bad. Hard starting, misfires, stuff like that.

Last edited by MadMan; 03-12-2019 at 02:28 AM.