View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 10:45 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

For an electronics infatuated redneck kid, as I was-and STILL am, just now I'm an electronics infatuated Olde Pharte', going to Bondurant's was akin to getting to go to God's Office or something. Well, maybe not quite THAT good, but pretty dern close. The staff was friendly, they knew their stuff about what they sold, & were INFINATELY patient w/annoying electronics infatuated kids. I knew 2 guys who worked there-An older guy named Leon-Whose last name escapes me- & Doug Ivey, who was likely in his thirties back in the late 60s-early 70s when I knew him. Leon was sort of a little guy, I remember towering over him when I was 11, 12, 13. Doug was taller, prolly a good 6' or more. Funny how you remember things like that almost 50 yrs later. I DO remember asking them which kind of VCR I should buy ? back in '79 or 80, & they told me "VHS"-they saw a lot less of them than sick Betamaxes. I also remember seeing a Sony branded COLOR set about a year B4 the Trinitron came out in one of the offices in the back of the Bondurant bldg. It looked like a std USA type 21" tabletop color set, but it said "Sony" on it. Wish now I'd gone into my "Young Sheldon" mode & asked questions about it...From all I've read/heard about Sony, slapping their name on an RCA, Zenith, or Admiral would have been anathema to them...