View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Banned

UPDATE: finally got the tuner fixed, apparently 5 was the magic number as far as the number of times I had to go around the tuning knob pulley before going back to the main tuning capacitor pulley, which is odd because I've never seen a tuner stringing that required you to go around the tuning knob 5 times before. anyways, when I got the radio put back together I tested it out and the tuner was drifting really badly and also it would barely pick up any stations on the FM band except the really strong local stations.
So I took the radio back apart and checked all of the tubes in my tube tester and all of the tubes checked out fine except for a Raytheon 12AU7A tube that was obviously a replacement/substitute for the original 12AT7 tube in the radio, that tube was completely dead (no heater/filament glow whatsoever), so I replaced the tube with a correct 12AT7 tube that was a Telefunken branded tube and then put a new shield over the tube as the shield they had over it previously was just a cardboard tube that was painted silver, and then put the radio back together reattached the built-in antenna and fired up the radio and sure enough it was working perfectly again as far as reception goes, no drifting, and it was picking up more stations than before on the FM dial. Also I saw a date stamp on the radio chassis that dated the radio to 1962 (which I'm not sure if that's correct or not or if maybe the ink smudged just enough to make a 5 look like a 6) but either way it seems that I have this radio up and running again.