View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
The 721TS has been running for about an hour this morning. I am told the electrolytics will not last long term. I am curious what evidence is there of that?
If it's going to be a shelf queen and get run for 10 minutes several times a year, you may not have a problem.

I restored a 51 TV earlier this year and did it one part at a time just to bone up on tube troubleshooting. Once done, it was shotgunned (well, not fully done).

This TV has nine electro cans, and two were bad on first power up, one taking out the 5U4, the other taking out a 6X4. I pulled them and restuffed them, and soldiered on.

While working on the sound section, another can that had previously checked fine and had run cool for several hours decided to make itself known. A slight change in the picture followed by a hiss told me another can had enough. Where it was running cool for several hours beforehand, it now was *very* hot. The fact that it was also drooling like a 5 year old kid with a mouth full of Sour Gummy Worms was another clue..

So far, 4 cans restuffed and the other 5 will be done before final assembly. The paper caps that are running fine will also be replaced before final assembly and alignment.

John