View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 06:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
oddly enough, the electrolytics on my 1949 FADA tested WAY higher than they were rated for when i replaced them, 2 to 4 times higher, at the time, I had no way to test for leakage, I just assumed they would all be bad, and replaced all caps, paper and electrolytic, most of them, if not all testing much higher than they should.
I have seen this as well. My theory is that before reforming the dielectric, the remaining dielectric is thinner. Hence the capacitance rises. After reforming, the capacitance went down.

I didn't test before reforming in this instance. But after reforming the capacitance was within 20% on the units I tested. (I didn't bother to test ever unit as this would have required additional desoldering-resoldering.

But good observation. And the point I want to make is to try and conserve and maintain as much of the original early electronic circuitry as possible. This can be done with due caution. And remember, if I was doing this for anyone but myself, I would probably resort to changing all the electrolytic capacitors! From a personal side, I like maintaining as much originality as possible.