View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 05:32 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I woulda paid some bucks for it....but NOT because I really wanted any 19" 1980's set.....or two 5" b/w sets.

I wanted it because it was WEIRD...and that was really the only reason. I deffinately have enough sets around to turn one on if I wanna watch The Big Bang Theory or some other silliness WHILE using the 55" Samsung as a computer monitor in the front room. I wouldn't "need" this set for this sort of "watch two things at once" task...no matter HOW much I don't wanna miss any particular football game (soccer to you guys).

I'm into "quirky" and otherwise just unusual. I don't have yet quite a few 70's-80's sets I would like...like the Videospheres...Panasonic flying saucers, a Predicta (would be my first tube set if I didn't get another)...or the funny little JVC pyramid I just missed out on. These sets get up past $100 on ebay and at that point I have to have been saving "on purpose" to score something like this.

I was really hoping to find something "fun" to work on at one of the thrift shops...but ended up just finding common "castoffs" like you find sitting in alleys.

In the end.....not sure if I would care if it was a Sampo, or an Orion...or even a Coby. Just that it was cool, I never seen one...and they weren't asking something TOO crazy for it.

Last edited by AiboPet; 07-05-2012 at 05:36 PM.