Thread: Elgin R1750
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 11:24 AM
lightfoot44

Elgin quality

I can remember Elgin making quite a few small transistor sets. The R1750 is a 10lb. shortwave or multiband set that is built like a Sherman Tank. It was manufactured in Japan, for Elgin Inc. of Maspeth NY, and sold by Frederick and Nelsons in Seattle. It was a division of Marshall Fields, and went out of business quite a few years ago. I treasure this radio because it was the first thing I bought with my first real job when I was 17 years of age.
Appearance wise, it had a plastic plexiglass cover for the dial and brushed chrome aluminum for the tuning knob, bass/treble knob, and on/off volume knob. There's a slide switch for AFC on FM down in the lower left corner. It also had an aluminum grille which covered a 4"X6" speaker which up to this day gives fantastic sound. The retractable antenna is really long, and tends to be prone to bending, so one has to be careful with it.
Elgin Corp must have gone out of business shortly after I purchased this radio because I never heard much more about them.
As I said, I'm still using this radio, and it still gives excellent sound, and relatively good shortwave performance. Even though it was considered a "portable" in its day, by today's standards it is too bulky and heavy to be considered a portable, so I use it for desktop service. I'm assuming that the Elgin R1750 must have been a competitor to the Zenith Transoceanic.