View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Collector of heavy things

I've set up my classic video game systems for my little cousins to play, as I talked about in this thread. They actually had a lot of fun playing classics like Frogger, Donkey Kong, and Mr. Do! on my Colecovision. Oddly, I had issues getting them into some of the later stuff, like SNES (one of them has a Mario Kart game for his Nintendo 3DS, yet couldn't quite get the hang of Super Mario Kart). Might just be a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
I'm not sure why really.....but I could not get the gun to work on anything but a CRT color set. I'm not sure if I ever tried a B/W set, since all my sets are "micro".

A little 13" LCD wouldn't work....and even the much higher contrast 60" Samsung wouldn't do it either. Of course the game itself shows up fine....just no gun. I even tried a DLP projector on a big 110" draper screen...still no go (And those ducks were BIG :-P )
As I understand it, when the trigger on the Zapper gun is pressed, the targets on the screen are turned into white squares for a split second. If the light sensor in the Zapper 'sees' the white square during this split second, the game registers a hit; otherwise, a miss. This only works on CRT TVs because of the lag involved with the conversion of the NES's analog signal to digital as used in LCD TVs (and, presumably, DLP projectors). By the time the white square has appeared on the flatscreen, that split second has passed.
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors

Last edited by AdamAnt316; 06-19-2013 at 07:55 AM.