View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Yep, I believe Midland branded the exact same radio. I found the center deviation pot and wired everything up. The one thing it doesn't tell you is where to put the grounds. The ground for the 12V is obvious. The PTT ground I figured was the other side of the PTT switch, and the third ground was for the tone (the one that went to the deviation pot). I assumed this went to chassis ground.

Well, on this radio chassis ground is the same as the 12V ground. I powered it up with the board hooked up and it was stuck in transmit mode. Didn't chunk the PL tone required repeater either. Also lost audio. I unhooked the PTT ground and it was still locked in transmit mode.

Removed everything, and found that the tone wire to the deviation pot had split the insulation when I fastened the board back down, so I'll give it another go once I get the mic for my Yaesu FT-2400. Since I'm net control for an ARRL traffic net on Tuesday nights, I can't afford to be without a radio if I do something wrong with this one.

Wanted to use my Heathkit HW-2036A that I got working well, but all the picky hams out there keep telling me that I sound off frequency. I'm not off at all, this radio just has a light 833 MHz tone that leaks into the audio from the VCO. From what I've read they're pretty much all like that.