View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 02:25 PM
M is for Memory

Wednesday's Delayed results (Typed the post and lost it on wed so gave up):

CRT tests 84% on my tester which is as good as NOS.
DSCN1402 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr

Jumpering the power switch did nothing, so I tried playing with the breaker (again) and started getting sounds from the chassis. Playing with the bright/contrast controls got a flicker of a horizontal line. A flip of the service switch (which the previous owners left in the wrong position) got me a full raster.

Some twiddling of the controls got a much nicer picture.

I love how darn near immortal and easy to service the CCII series is.

The main differences between this set and my table model (aside from cabinet) are that the table set has two matching knobs (one volume, the other on-off) different from the console's, and the console has plastic thumb grips on it's antenna terminals instead of plain screws. One really wacky thing is that the back has 4 service saver twist clips holding the back on PLUS 3 screws holding it on....Every other Zenith I've seen has either just the screws or just the service saver clips.....Adding the screws defeats the purpose of the clips: getting the back off fast.

The tuner indicator light is burnt out, and the tuner is rather dirty (It wanted to tune channel 7 with the knob set to 8, and pix would get noisy occasionally and need knob jiggle or a slap to the cabinet to straighten out).

This set has a rather unique odor combo that is part smoker's set part damp moldy basement. With how beat up the cabinet is, the ready interchange of that 23" V Chromacolor CRT with most of my rectangular sets, and me already having a nearly identical metal cabinet set, part of me thinks I should just part this console out....I'll have to think over what to do with it.

If any one wants to give this set a home I'll be happy to let it go.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4