View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 AM
AK Member

Well, I plugged it in and tried it out today... I hear a weird, low moaning sound. No pic. I think this astronaut got eaten by some alien, that is slowly dying inside!

I don't know all that much about TV repairs. I have succesfully repaired a few of them over the years, but those were all earlier discrete-component things that I could "get my head around". This thing has a remote control and some programming capability, so I'm assuming it has ICs and digital stuff inside. [Yuck!] The only thing I know to do with that stuff is just replace chips or even entire boards (no fun at all), when they are available. I rather think parts for this will be scarce, unless the insides match a more common model. I'll try to find a repair manual for it, somewhere, but if it isn't an easy fix, I'll have to turn it over to a more qualified repairman and hope.

IF it turns out to be a total bust [CRT Tube gone beyond help, for example.. although I doubt it] and only good for parts, then (I know, this may be sacrilege here...) I might stick a computer inside and turn it into a cool-looking music server. But I promise, it will NEVER become a fish tank! I don't think it will come to that, though: given it's generally excellent condition, I'm optimistic it is repairable.
Audiokarma