View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 AM
Bob Galanter

Dear Mr. Carlson,
In the first place this thread was a request from a poster about how to split his signal from his antenna to 4 tv sets. The correct answer was to use a distribution amp. Using a 4 way spliter is almost always a crappy idea. This thread was not a discussion about the brand of converter boxes to use. If you wanted to be of some help, you should have adressed the poster's original question on how to split his signals properly.

Quote:
Bob you are being a paranoid jerk.
Doing name calling now are we??? Gotcha!

Quote:
I'm sorry you and your neighbors building material choices were so poor
And just where the hell do you get off saying that the choice of construction materials that my neighbor and I used were "SO POOR" ?? Who the F are you to decide what is or is not a proper building material in a given situation. This is another prime example of your arrogant attitude.

Any time you refer to someone by name, you are getting personal. You mentioned me by name referencing issues that you had no first hand knowledge about. When you start talking about someone's personal situation, and postulating about things for which you have no first hand knowledge, that qualifies as arrogance.

Quote:
You seriously need to mellow out, dude.
And don't ever call me "dude". I am old enough to be your grandfather with worldly knowledge that you won't acquire for another 50 years (if ever). Be respectful of your elders and in the future please refer to me as "sir" or by my proper name.

And now, (being as you seem to feel I made bad choices in construction materials), a lesson about zoning codes and construction materials.

The house I live in has had aluminum siding since 1955, 4 years after it was first constructed. It was installed over 8" wood lap siding when, after only 4 years, the paint started to peel. Rather than spend money to repaint after only 4 years, aluminum was installed over the wood, which over the next 60 years has probably saved thousands of dollars in repaint costs.

The home of my neighbor to the south, was constructed in 1948 3 years prior to my home and had aluminum siding right from the start.

After having re-roofed my home 3 times during my life(once due to fire), I decided that I would never again spend for shitty conventional asphalt shingles, and 4 years ago I installed a lifetime, premium quality metal roof at only twice the cost of asphalt shingles. A metal roof and aluminum siding also gets me a small reduction in home owners insurance because it's also a great fire retardant. Can't say that about other building materials. Have you ever seen how vinyl siding melts and catches fire if the house next door is ablaze. Maintenance free materials like a metal roof and aluminum siding also add great value to a home should you decide to sell.

Most people who re-side their home use vinyl due to the very inexpensive nature of the material. Vinyl is about 1/3 the cost of aluminum and quality wise you always get what you pay for. Vinyl has a couple distinct disadvantages. First and foremost it has a very large coefficient of expansion. It has such a large CE that vinyl siding has to be installed in a "floating" fashion with room at the ends of each row for expansion. During the summer as the sun heats the vinyl, you can hear vinyl siding expanding and conversely as it cools in the evening as it shrinks. Even worse is the fact that in our extremely cold Wisconsin winters, the vinyl gets very brittle. If it is struck with a blow from an object such as a snow shovel it will crack and shatter. Aluminum siding has none of these disadvantages.

Most municipalities, have some sort of building codes that you must conform to. The Village of Whitefish Bay also has an architectural review board that governs the esthetics of your project. In fact if WFB could, they would probably regulate what kind of paper I wipe my butt with. In the case of the two story garage that was built over Bob's Bunker, there was a requirement that the siding be an exact match to the existing siding on my home. The same was true of the roof. The building code also regulates such things as the style of the corners that are used on the siding, the esthetics of the windows, the style of the roof line, and dozens of other esthetic issues that must meet code requirements during the design phase, prior to the granting of a construction permit.

Instead of commenting on, and jumping to conclusions about things you have no knowledge of, perhaps you should have just asked a simple question "Bob, you are very close to the transmitters, what is the reason you have a need for distribution amps?" That way I could answer you in a detailed informational manner, and you wouldn't be calling me a paranoid jerk who made poor choices of building materials.

Quote:
Future unprovoked attacks from you such as this quoted post will result in a ban of a duration commensurate with the severity of such future behavior. You have been warned.
Then I guess your name calling and insults toward me qualify this post as provoked by you Tom.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com

Last edited by Electronic M; 01-09-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: removing part where you've gone too far-YOUR REALLY PUSHING IT!