View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 01:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
that sounds plausible and also given that the factory put in the incorrect uf value output tube control grid cap,

SRSLY no joke and it exact matches mica caps all over that radio and its a .0046 uf Mica vs an .001 presumably film cap it's supposed to have there per the schematic and the AA5 reference design that can go to .002 uf also
who knows what else they did .

I'm obviously not an AA5 or even radio expert like most of you here , so the input is all good and teaching me thank's

During my career ,some of those screw ups and product were butt of inside humor or more or a PITA ,

IOW some misplaced wires would not suprise me in a USA mid century home radio ,they already put the wrong output tube cntrl.grid cap in that crude radio with 1936 AA5 budget model ciruits in a deaf SWL 1965 radio .

It's almost criminal and that radio or a AA4/AA5 would be today because it can electrocute us without much provocation ! You cant make that up
I never worried about being electrocuted on a hot chassis receiver, as I've been doing it for over 60 years!
I also worked as an Industrial Electrician for 30 years, so I'm no stranger to even higher voltages.
I have one of those receivers in my warehouse, somewhere. I remember working on it and it had a floating B- line. Trying to remember if it's U/L listed.
On mine, someone replaced the 'lytic with a metal can type and installing it tied the B- to the chassis, which made it a shock hazard. I corrected that right away.
Those type of SWL receivers generally didn't sound that great, mainly they were made for speech or code reproduction and not really for music.
Also, that receiver was one of the last ones built in USA. They seemed to shift their production to Japan. Possibly, they used what left over!