View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 07:18 PM
AK Member

Update on the re-cap

Managed to find a schematic from a fellow in Germany, very helpful. Ordered the new caps from justradios and got them all installed. In the process I discovered three paper caps that I somehow missed the first time around, so I'll have to order some more. Couple of questions: I understand that the ceramic caps seldom need replacing, but what about the styroflex caps? There are 17 of them in this radio. Also, now don't laugh, I managed to get three of the electrolytics in backwards despite my careful one-cap-at-a-time method. I powered the radio up after finishing and am wondering if I ruined the caps that were installed backwards or can I still use them if I put them in right way round? They were 100uf@25V. Originals were rated at 6V and 4V. After powering up I still had the hum so I re-checked my work and discovered the backwardness, plus I took photographs beforehand and could see my mistakes. Another question on testing the tubes; all are Telefunken tubes, European numbers, can they be tested as their equivalents/substitutes in American numbers? Do I test a ECC83 as a 12AX7, or 12DT7 as listed substitutes, on my tester? So, I'm a little frustrated but not discouraged. Just ordered caps for my next project, a Zenith TransOceanic L600