Thread: Motorola 16VF8
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Tinker

Cont:
To set the new coils in place I used some double side tape. I tried to position each coil toward the front of the yoke, to help maintain the vertical deflection angle. I marked center lines on the coil and yoke to maintain the 90 degree magnetic field between the horizontal coils. Next I used plastic tape, vinyl tape,and finally black duct tape to cover the coils. I wound over 8 ounces of 24 gauge black wire over tape. The black wire core is connected to ground.
Tap was wrapped over the black steel wire to prevent shorting of the coil connection tabs. I used some old belt sander fabric to replace the original paper
band for connections. The fabric doesn't burn up from soldering. Wrapped 2 turns of friction tape under the fabric terminal band to keep it from slipping. Friction tape was also taped to the underside of the terminal band.
I soldered all eight coil wires, resistors and capacitor in close to the same positions they were originally found. I cut some flat black pvc? plastic to replace the old cardboard yoke housing. I heated the plastic in a can over the stove a few seconds to reform it into a cylinder.
After I got the coil re-assembled, its' diameter had increased an eighth, but it still fit into its' mounting bracket. I just needed a longer and slightly deformed retaining screw.
With the repaired coil installed I started the testing, monitoring voltages, heat and sounds if any emanating from the yoke. Every seemed OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001S.JPG (35.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002S.JPG (34.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005S.JPG (36.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-010S.JPG (36.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-012S.JPG (36.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-020S.JPG (36.7 KB, 37 views)