View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 07:34 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Moto Nut View Post
I agree there were some GE chassis that weren't so good, like the JA and QA. But, the KE's were good sets.
JA and QA were far better than the real GE lemon: EC Chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Moto Nut View Post
GE cabinets were nothing special, and they were one of the first to adopt laminated particle boards. I remember when a GE console would come into our family's store and it would be put next to a Motorola set with a Drexel cabinet, there was no comparison.
You don't recall the Ethan Allen GE Sets - all wood, and the only plywood in the whole set was the back - a piece of Baltic birch three ply. I first saw one with a MA chassis, but later serviced several - all were easy fixes. In one GE Service guide I have, there are 18 Ethan Allen models for the represented chassis. I'm not sure if they ever had a tube set or a hybrid chassis in an Ethan Allen cabinet - I know I've never seen one.

GE got banged around by the consumer magazines. They won a few battles - Consumer Reports reported they only had 7 new models one year in a misprint, and two months later, they gave GE a whole page to display several nicer models among their 67 new models - and the apology from Consumers Union.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma