View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 12:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

An update!

It *was* the transistor. For those of you who like/restore Philco Safaris, it's not impossible for transistors to go out of spec. I didn't really know this (and maybe most of you are already aware of it, making my post less helpful).

I replaced the vertical output transistors with a Motorola 2N1363, which was listed as a NTE121 equivalent but much cheaper.

The vertical linearity is now quite good. However, there is still an overall low-voltage issue that I can't track down.

I recently found a tan/gold Philco Safari in *exceptional* condition, unrestored, that works extremely well. I can't believe the original components are still working so well. All voltages in this set are spot on according to SAMs and the picture is brighter and clearer. It actually has quite a nice picture. I'm a bit at a loss why my black Safari (that I spent so much time on) still has low voltage...maybe a bad power transformer (?)... Oh well, for now, I'll be glad that at least has a watchable picture.

I'll post a new thread about the tan/gold Safari with pictures. It's a nice example!

Thank you all for your help. If any Safari owners know about any reasons for overall low voltage, let me know...