View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sanyo DS31590 31" TV from 2002

Every time I say that I'm not taking in any more BPC/SPC CRT TV's, someone offers me one and I end up taking it. This one is a clean looking, but dead, 31" Sanyo from 2002, with the instruction book and original remote. From the lack of dirt inside, it looks to be a fairly low hours TV.

I quickly found the problem to be a shorted HOT (2SD2645) and this was causing the power supply to go into over-current shutdown.

Usually, when a HOT shorts, it had help; but, they sometimes blow on their own. The most common causes for HOT failure is a defective flyback (the one in my set passes the ring test), bad electrolytic capacitors in the horizontal drive circuit and B+ line (all capacitors checked OK), and bad solder connections that cause a rapid dropout of horizontal drive (a few connections looked slightly questionable; so, I resoldered them). Another thing that can cause a shorted HOT is a switching power supply that's running away with itself. I've seen these power supplies lose regulation and shoot hundreds of volts down lines that should only have 5V-12V on them. When this happens, the damage is usually extensive and the set isn't worth repairing. I measured the B+ voltage in this set and it seems to be fine.

At this point, all I know to do is install another HOT and see what happens.

As far as later model "bargain" TV's, Sanyo seems to be one of the better brands. If I fix this, I'll probably give it to a friend who needs a TV (if she'll take it). I hope she'll take it because if not, it will go up for sale and then I'll get ticked off when, 3 weeks later, I still can't $35-$40 for the set.

Currently, I'm trying to get $25 for a 2002 Sony 20" WEGA Trinitron and the only one who has commented was someone offering me $20 if it had the remote. Well, no, it does not have the remote and for the price I'm asking, they can go to the dollar store and buy their own remote. I'd certainly take $20 for it; but, they're not getting a remote that I never had to begine with.

I've also got a working 27" RCA from 2000; but, the CRT is tired in it. It would make someone an OK TV, if they didn't have anything and didn't have much money. However, I'm not even going to bother listing it for sale.

Actually, the Sony and RCA will probably be given to my friend who runs a flea market and maybe he can make something off of them.