View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Most plasma screens seem to hold up well, but LG screens from this time period often don't. Not every one I've seen has been bad, but a lot are. The problem is that the defect is subtle enough that people often keep using them until something else fails.

I've personally dealt with 3 sets like this. A 50" Vizio, a 42" hp, and a 42" Toshiba. The hp was the only one that was good. The other two had the dreaded red speckles. If the panel is bad, you can at least sell the boards since you'll know they're good.
Well My Plasma is a HP just one of the ones you dealt with was and you said that the HP you dealt with still had a good screen which with that in mind, I would tend to lean towards mine more than likely being good yet as well. So like I said on Thursday when I get paid I'll see about getting that board ordered and installed in the TV, and if it works I'll already have a buyer for it which will be my housemate, but as to whether or not he'll want to pay $100 for the thing... well that's another thing, and his loss, considering this is a 42" set and would be perfect for his video games, but if he wouldn't be willing to pay the price for it then like I said its his loss, and I'll just find someone else to buy it who will appreciate the set.

By the way, what causes the voltage regulator chips to go bad on these Y-Sustain boards? And wouldn't a functioning used Y-Sustain board eventually fail the same way as the original one in my unit did eventually (even though it clearly hasn't yet)?