View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 07:45 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithNut View Post
Do"h

I want to look at the overall ac current draw the set is using. I checked my fluke meter and it tops out at 320ma so an analog dc milliamp meter is on its way.
On tube sets that test is much less informational than solid state. A meter that can't measure 5-10A AC can't directly measure the line current the set draws. (also some DMMs that can do 10A only do DC and some only do AC so knowing which the meter can do is important)....

All that said there is a way to indirectly measure the AC that set uses with your present meter (assuming it has an AC volts range) get a 5W or higher, 1 OHM power resistor place that resistor in series with one leg of the cord (can hack up an extension cord to do this (and make a universal adapter) ) then with the meter in AC volts range measure the voltage across that resistor...You can then compute the approximate current using ohms law: I=E/R= measured voltage/resistance...Given resistance should be 1 OHM that means measured voltage should be approximately equal to the current flowing. The accuracy of the resistor, the accuracy of the meter, where you connect the meter along the wire will all introduce some error to the measurement, but it should give a decent approximation.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4