View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 12:07 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Jon...more on the use of Umatic in the day on air. Stations ran to it like dogs to a steak. Cheaper than color 16mm film. The problem was on air with a deck that was just above VHS quality running through a TBC of the day. The H scan timing was suspect at best and you would broadcast news stories with black timing stripe errors on either the left or right or both depending on the manufacturer. JVC was junk for air. That resulted in a FCC pink ticket fining you for broadcasting "non program" material. A little black gap was not part of the program.
So that's why I don't see nearly as many JVC broadcast decks on eBay than Sony. Mine's just a consumer-grade deck. I think it's neat though, and I prefer their appearance over that of other consumer decks. A few people asked me what it is on my way home with it. It comes apart unlike any other VCR I've had; figuring out how to take it apart took a few minutes. I can see just about everything, no leaking caps spotted yet. I just took a photo of it as it sits now.

A U-Matic copying service, interesting! Maybe I should offer such a service locally when my machine is up and running, just as a lark. It would be interesting to see if I get any bites. If so, I would finally have a use for the record function on my Panasonic DMR-E20.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JVC CP-5200U apart for servicing.jpg (116.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-02-2017 at 12:12 AM.