View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't have a 5850 any more, but I don't think it would do machine-to-machine editing using its own controller. I think it required an external editor, either an RM-440 or the lower-numbered one. RM-440s would work on serial RS422 machines as well as the parallel control machines.

The non-broadcast decks were used for educational/school use, desktop screening of 3/4" footage for logging, transcribing, off-line video edits using Visible Time Code (VTC) burn-ins, chase tapes for audio-for-video production, etc. There was also a later, smaller 7000 series, too.

BVU machines had internal edit controllers, and could be controlled by either external RM-440 type edit controllers, or higher-end CMX-style editors.

The internal editor was pretty capable, and would allow you to assemble or insert edit using the controller in the machine, as well as allow you to do 2-machine cuts-only assemble or insert edits with another 422-controlled machine as the source. Even would control 1", probably D2, BetaSP, and DigiBeta also, as the basic machine control protocol was pretty standard.

Watch the movie Broadcast News for in-use examples. Pretty funny movie, too. "I say it here, and it comes out there."

Chip