View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Update - I just rebooted my system, and FF came up saying AVG plugin has stopped. Ran AVG, no problems, restarted FF, and FF Updater service became active - it showed RAM usage at 671MB, settling down to about 240MB. I let it run a minute, and it went to 102MB, and still sinking. Once it sat at 68MB for a while, I restarted FF, and voila, an update is active. When it finished, and with just Google.com showing, RAM usage of 123MB reported. I have two plugins - one is AVG, and the other is Logitech Setpoint for my cordless mouse. Neither is the problem - I can stop both and no change except a 1MB drop without the Setpoint plugin or 12MB drop when AVG plugin is disabled.

My guess is FF was downloading an update, and somehow piggybacking on VK page loads. V-K page load now shows 198MB - still high, but quicker. Add a tab that loads only Google.com, and it adds 20MB initially, settling down to only 3 MB added to the RAM usage - V-K uses 30X that.... so something is still wrong.

I'd use IE 11 for V-K if the "Manage Attachments" window didn't crash IE. My work around for that is to leave the window open, but that's no real cure. Other sites don't like IE11, so I converted to FF for now. At home, on my Linux machines, FF is a speed demon. On WIN10/V-K, I can type, and the message window has to catch up..

ARF, and other forums don't slow like V-K.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!