View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
I was worried about that, and was watching this thread to see if a tuner issue cropped up. Those electronic tuners could be a pain in the ass, and were showing problems by the late 80's. It's Electronic, so there is no cleaning.
Start with the obvious... turn the AFC off, tune it in to the strongest signal/pix/ turn the AFC back ON. If it still has the problem, the tuner is a module, and you'll need to replace. If that's the case, let us know which one. It's listed on the schematic.
Ok this is what happened after i did that, I tuned in the pic with the afc off on ch 3, when i would turn on the afc switch , it would detune to a unviewable picture. When i tune in the tuner while the afc is on i get a regular pic for 10/20 mins or so.
as far as the tuner module number i could only find 2 numbers in reference to the tuner, first is 175-5074-01 plant 12 on a sticker on the tuner and 3439626 stamped in red ink on the tuner itself. The diagram on the inside of the cabinet only list the modules on the vertical chassis. I know it says on the module to not use contact cleaner on the tuner but what is the failure mode on these tuners, corosion? can they be repaired? I used to collect and repair watches as a hobby, i think i could dismantle the tuner if i knew what to look for.