View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 10:38 AM
M is for Memory

It wasn't like the envoy was ridiculously hard to service or impractical to service. The problem was that the previous owners beat it to hell had it serviced by hacks who should not have been allowed to so much as look at a car, they weren't honest with me about it, and inadequate lighting made it hard for me to see that when I bought it... That SUV had too much wrong with it to be worth my fixing especially after that swaybar linkage caused me to spin it... My general opinion of the Envoy platform is favorable, and I feel that if I had bought a better example to start with that I'd still be driving it.

Repairability depends on the platform. I've heard people I trust talk plentyof trash about serviceability and reliability of GM cars that I have not owned, and my family has owned and rented some GM lemons, but the Envoy struck me as a decent platform reliability and design-wise.
The suburban I replaced it with strikes me as an even better vehicle reliability and repairability wise...I know people with suburbans of the same generation with 2 and 3 times the mileage mine has that are still going strong with no drivetrain rebuilds needed (rust is starting to affect those though). Also, they made some jobs MUCH easier on the suburban...The CV axles in the front, for instance, don't use those wacky snap rings that the Envoy has...Instead, they attach to the front differential with only 6 bolts...IMHO a much more serviceable design. The Suburban also seems to have more room to access things in the engine compartment.

My family and I took my Suburban up to our cabin up north last week and at the beginning of the month I took it to the ETF...Between those two trips, I've put 2K of highway (with heavy cargo) on it easy this month and it has been handling it like a trooper. Heck, I got the AC to hold a usable charge for the whole week, and the AC is the only common weak point on these trucks (the plumbing likes to develop leaks every 100k).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 06-01-2018 at 10:42 AM.