View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Motorola Minion

I was only ever crazy enough to go over 120 when I had two different 1973 Plymouth Fury II, police models. When I was dissed by drivers of "fashionable" cars, the MoPars just wouldn't chicken out.

These 5000 pound boats truly float since you are getting NO feedback via the power steering. The front brakes were disc, not drum so it stopped straight. The second Fury had a 440 interceptor that had reserve to mock that 140 certified speedo. I think I hit 130 but that is still freaking nuts!

Now, my 69 Grand Prix has 255-60R14's I had put on it new in 1988. It still gets out every few months but No effing way I go over 85 until I replace tires and shock absorbers.

A friend of mine had a 1974 Pontiac Grandville with "radial tuned suspension" known as the rocket used to bury the 120 speedo on a nearby stretch of interstate. Sure, we were nuts but nobody was on the road at 2am then either. Also, you DO NOT do this during season when deer were jumping DOT fences, either. That highway was known as the "UL testing" range.

I was never so glad to be back on terra firma as when he drove his '79 Trans Am on a wicked winding rising-dropping, turns banked totally the wrong way, roads he took to work every day. That car had the wimpy Olds 6.6 smog motor but with the suspension he made it "walk and talk". I think the speedo stopped at 85 too, what a joke! Never was a law to stop at 85 or 100, just a bone the automakers threw the NTSHA.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 01-27-2017 at 03:48 PM.