Thread: AMC Eagle
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
You got screwed by that mechanic, dude. Never authorize a tear down of a transmission or something terribly major like that. Once they've taken it apart, they've got you by the balls and can charge you anything they like (like $3500 for a simple old fashioned transmission), because it's in their shop and it's in pieces. You gotta pay them to tear it down whether or not you OK'd the repair, and if you decide to take it somewhere else, it'll be in pieces and the next mechanic will charge you more because of it, plus the towing. A trans on that is maybe a $2000 job, perhaps up to $2500, but too late now.

Also, why would you swear off automatic transmissions? Do you have ANY idea how much money it costs to rebuild a manual transmission? LOL you funny guy! Last manual transmission I rebuilt was maybe $4-5k, and MY prices are actually reasonable.

You really should have consulted somebody before letting your mechanic tear it down. However, all things considered, you're not doing too terribly. So you paid a little too much for the car, had some bad luck, and paid a little too much for a repair. Really, you're not too far behind. My advice, keep that car in good shape, because you're in it for the long haul now. And next problem you have with it, shop around.
Aren't prices a lot higher in Canada? Maybe it isn't as high as we think.
Audiokarma