View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 06:13 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

This was made by Admiral in Canada, apparently they had a plant not too far from where the set was found.

Ran up the chassis, here's what I have currently:

Had no HV despite a wave form being present on the horizontal output tube's grid the day before. Pulled the tube back out to check, it's still there so something is wrong. Turned out someone had stuck a 6DQ5 in there where a 6CB5 should be, and though they are electrical subs for each other you would have to swap some pins around. That hadn't been done, so I put a 6CB5 in it and HV came up.

HV is low with the regulator tube installed. Without it I'm getting around 21.5kv, installed it droops to around 16kv and I get a nice bright blue glow from the 6BK4's tubular plate. The resistors that control the 6BK4 grid are in tolerance, so I'm installing a 1-meg HV adjust pot in the back of the chassis. It goes between the boost source and dropping resistors on the grid, giving adjustable grid potential. Hopefully once I'm done with that, I'll have stable and adjustable high voltage available on the 3A3's cup.

Focus circuit was wired incorrectly. There was a part I couldn't identify (probably a megohm range resistor) which got removed, and I made the circuit reflect what Sams has. Hope focus voltage falls in range. Installed a new 1V2, previously there wasn't one there.