View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Motorola Minion

What I observed on visits to England in 1976 and 1980, all UHF yagis even in the most seemingly remote areas. In all kinds of mountings, in different directions from the same chimney.
Some VHF-Hi yagis were observed and those classics that were just an "X" for low VHF or FM (both- I was told) About every other place we stayed had something like a Philips 20-inch color with 4-presets, no knobs anywhere.

There was no "channel 4", only BBC1, BB2 and ITV. Maybe 4 came along by 1980 in the bigger cities, there were Philips BW sets loops and set-top zig-zag helicals, one of which I was given as a token for repairing some electrical items with fused plugs where we stayed. The older folks seemed rightly afraid of 240 V and were glad to let some kid sort it out for them.

A few years ago, while looking on a UK website called "antenna hacks", I learned much about our evolving band changes here in the US notably the UHF band has shrunk, with fewer active transmitters in any given area. The UK's classic UHF antenna solutions with several bands and narrow-spectrum yagis are a good fit for most of the US, at least where UHF predominates.

A friend of mine from TV servicing past predicted we would still need a broadband antenna to get everything available, even after I and most others were sure VHF low was gone!

First WPVI-6 in Philadelphia remains on 6 with with other new VHF-lo channels, WDPN 2 in Phl and WACP 4 in S. Jersey and now a channel 5 in lower Delaware! One Channel Master 1160 still gets them all, no matter how repacking affects them

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 11-16-2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: WDPN error