Thread: AMC Eagle
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2022, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's the harness end that connects to the solenoid manifold for the "Vacuum Switching Solenoid" (the vacuum-driven half of the Sol-Vac) and both solenoids for the air management. It's very unlikely that it's an AMC-specific part because of how much phoning-in there is with the rest of the vehicle's electrical. The hard part is finding who the connector OEM is because the connectors are being repurposed (EG: a 2-pin GM alternator connector is being used by AMC for the air cleaner temperature switch and a 3-pin Chrysler neutral safety switch connector is being used for the coolant temperature switch and yet another alternator connector variant is used for the washer fluid pump, so even trying to search pigtail ends is a challenge because it's being used in entirely different jobs)

The idea is that with further research you can technically adapt the Pulse Air solenoids to work with mechanical secondary air using two relays but I need to build an adapter that plugs in between the two parts of the harness. Instead of modifying the original harness it makes more sense to use the same connectors and then when I'm done I don't have to convert the connectors back.

I did a similar thing this summer while the engine was out. I replaced that pesky coolant switch with a modern equivalent but instead of altering the factory harness I built an adapter.

I was gifted a replacement air control valve so now other than this and the metal air tubes that go under the car it's ready to go for the test.
Speaking of testing, I finally bit the bullet and bought myself an Exhaust Analyzer. Someone near-ish was selling a Sun Modular Engine Analyzer for $100 and I'll be going to pick it up in a week or so. I see the later model units occasionally for sale around here and they show up at auction and sell for pretty much the same price range and they normally don't sell for a lot but they're massive and this gives me a reason to replace all the stacked boxes in the garage with proper benches and shelving because it it wasn't getting obvious all these spare parts, tools and equipment are turning the garage into a bit of a perpetual mess of things stacked on eachother.

Last edited by MIPS; 08-24-2022 at 12:19 PM.