View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 09:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

EM, I am profoundly ignorant in this area as your very well written treatise informed me. I knew I didn't know much but wow. Thanks for taking the time to write that up. The devil is always in the details.

I think for me that cropping is likely the best alternative. I wish that I could just use my DVD player as everything always looks the best from DVD. However, much of the stuff I watch isn't available and it would be an expensive undertaking. There are only a few things I watch multiple times. Most content I watch was originally recorded in 4:3, when I watch newer stuff I do so on a newer TV.

Just so we know what hardware I have, I run the HDMI from the laptop to an HDMI to Composite converter and then into a BT RF modulator. The HDMI converter is a cheapie, I am totally willing to buy a better one.

I'm looking into VLC. Quite a bit of stuff I play is from archive.org so I should be able to DL it and then play through VLC. I will try that this week and see what I get. It doesn't seem at a glance that I can play Amazon Prime content through VLC, is that correct? Amazon has been adding quite a few oldies lately and I do watch a fair bit from there.

I can see I need to do some more reading. I need to learn more about 4:3 content that has been converted to 16:9 because I think that is what I watch most. Thanks to all for your time and I will be back with more questions.
Audiokarma