View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Looking For Time

I got back under the chassis tonight. I'm still taking my time and making each and every action I take as deliberate as I can. I found another capacitor that was replaced at some later time.

You can see that there is a pretty large glob of solder on the connection point of that new cap. I've noticed shoddy work on the two obvious replacement parts in the set, both had way too much solder on the connections and you can clearly see that the repairman melted the insulation on a wire in the area when soldering a lead. You can see it on the left side of the picture below.

One of the advantages doing one capacitor at a time and shooting each one with lacquer is that I have lots of time to survey the set as I wait for the lacquer to dry. One thing I noticed on one of these "breaks" was that R187(according to the Riders schematic), the high voltage rectifier winding resistor, is going to need to be replaced.

I'll file that in my noggin for later when I focus on resistors.
I still haven't been able to get out to my local antique electronic shop for a replacement multi-stage electrolytic cap to replace the one I snapped but I'm over half way finished with restuffing/replacing the paper caps. The top half of the set (as it sits on my bench) is now finished.
Audiokarma