View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 03:40 PM
Thinking in color...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasadowsk View Post
I found this link on ewetube:

https://youtu.be/ZtNIuXHgRlM

I’m curious of anyone knows the cameras and VTR used (quad of some sort, AMPEX?)

Also, why are there gaps in the recording? I’m guessing that’s where commercials were put in (local of the network feed?)

More curiously- why was it “take 1”?

Any comments on the picture quality?
Cameras were Norelco PC-60s since this was done at CBS Television City (look real quick behind the slate at the start or when her dad runs up on stage at the end and you'll see them). Good guess the VTRs were Ampexes of the 2" quad persuasion. Don't know which ones, though. Gaps are indeed for commercial breaks. This appears to be a network master tape, originally run from a CBS network control room in New York or LA. Since game shows like this are live-to-tape, it's assumed that this would have been the first and only take of that show number, barring any technical disasters requiring an extended stopdown.

Quality-wise, this looks pretty typical for an early '70s videotaped show: little banding on the left, some vignetting that viewers wouldn't have seen then. CBS was most consistent of the networks in quality.