View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Have you cleaned the contacts in the tuner? I've seen dirty tuner contacts do stuff like that.

If you have not cleaned the tuner contacts make sure to get both the ones involved in changing channel and the tube socket pins.

I recommend Deoxit, or the cheaper comparably effective De-ox-id as the cleaning solution. If you can rub the contacts with a pencil eraser (the soft white ones are especially good) while they have the cleaner on them it will be better still. Those erasers are almost good enough contact cleaners by them selves to not need the spray.
I had cleaned the channel changing contacts earlier with WD40-branded spray electrical contact cleaner (I ran out of deoxit), and have worked and rotated around the channel clunker quite a bit since and never saw anything like this happen. I've wiggled the OSC and RF tubes in the tuner and didn't see any reaction, but who knows. I can try cleaning the tube pin contacts next, but now I'm afraid if I touch it that it might go back to the lower voltages and sub-par performance!

Clearly getting the sync and AGC circuit voltages up directly affected all of the remaining problems so at least there's some confirmation there. I'll trace out everything from the 130V on and see what's up...

FK