View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 04:36 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Ahhhh, I didn't look closely enough at the chart at first, it is indeed a 19QB.

That's awesome about the parts, much appreciated. I suppose the fine tuning knobs could easily be electroplated. The channel knobs, well, good luck restoring those. Also, I don't think I'll need to transplant anything; the ends of the shafts are about 1/8" below the trim panel. The socket does use female chassis connectors, those for the focus and filament leads being different. Both filament leads are attached to the same plug and the focus lead terminates in something that looks like an in-line fuse holder. The EIA number is a match and the patent number on the original is 3251016-337612.

I just realized, the knobs that came with it aren't even a matched set. The VHF knob is probably from a smaller set. I noticed the legend dial diameter difference right away, but now I see the VHF knob lacks the raised V-shaped section and is more chunky.
To further muddle the knobs, GE issued silver trim/lettering for better models, and white for basic or plastic cabinet stuff. If they were out, either was substituted for the other. Customers hated this, but we were unable to specify no subs on out of stock stuff.

Vanco, a secondary supplier, had no problem sourcing GE knobs - GE tried to find out where in the supply chain they were getting real GE knobs. Vanco went to the plastics place making the knobs - and ordered in quantity. GE made the plastics place stop selling to aftermarket folks, only to dry up knobs in general. Our knob box was our savior a few times.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!