View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
The basics of getting color from a single tube is that there is a color-striped-grid overlay (sticker) on the face of the tube, and circuits that matrix everything into color. Exactly how it works, I was not clear on when I read one of the service manuals, and that was a number of years ago.
The most common color stripe pattern was diagonal stripes of cyan going one way and yellow going the other. I'm guessing that's what this camera used.
This produced a mixed high frequency subcarrier of red modulation and blue modulation that could be separated by a comb filter. Doing this successfully depends on having good electron beam focus and also depends on having the correct scan height so the high frequency red and blue signals are out of phase on alternating lines. If the electrical focus is bad, the amount of red and blue is reduced, and the picture turns greenish.

Another possible method was to have two different frequencies (line spacings) for the yellow and cyan. Another possible arrangement is separate electrode patterns for red, green, and blue (some Sony's, I think).