View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Welcome to VK. I would have never gotten any work done in an arcade
Grumpy thanks for the welcome.

The "New" does wear off after awhile. And although I enjoyed working on them I have never been much of a gamer.

My ex was a big gamer and I used to spend time with her...but it was not my favorite way to spend time playing video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDusel View Post
Grumpy,
Doesn't part of you want to play the game and part of you want to open it up and see how it works?
Seeing the clever implementations of basically standard equipment is always fun for me..
Rob
My fist gig doing this was a long long time ago and some of the games like...

"Tankers" were actually made up of all TTL logic chips...Before any CPU games. And it was kinda cool to open the game and see a big old card cage with IIRC 4 or 5 18" by 18" cards all fully populated with SN74xx series chips. (Not to mention huge 5 volt supplies...this was in the days before widespread use of switching supplies).

Actually that was one of the common problems on those old games...

The cards plugged into edge connectors and the connectors could not handle the current.

Of course those games were used in places where back in the day smoking was allowed..And the residue would do a number on the card contacts and joy stick contacts.

Ah...The memories....