Thread: New Wheels
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 01:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

These cars are all MILD compared to this Caddy my Granddad & Mamaw had back in '68. Avocado-It was "Not Quite" a whole bunch of colors-Not quite green, not quite Gold, & not quite Brown. Actually, it was about the most faithful reproduction of Babyshit I ever saw. Worst thing of all, it was THAT color inside & out, NO relief at all. The Caddy they had before it was a 1960 Sedan De Ville, that was tan, & chrome. THAT car was a Cadillac ! Lotsa chrome, rocketship fins, Are-You-SERIOUS ?!? compound curve windshield. Love it or LOATHE it, you COULDN'T ignore it. They kept the Steaming Pile til '73, when my granddad Fritz pulled a Fast One. He ALWAYS wanted the biggest, nastiest, most OMG Caddy they made, but Miss Izzy-my Granny-NEVER let him get one..Well, they had to go to Louisville on business once every six weeks/2 months. They went up in like April '73, Fritz dropped Miss Izzy off at Rich's Dept Store, & then HE had a couple hours to kill. He drove by Cal Connell Cadillac, there was this gorgeous big 60 Special Brougham sitting in the showroom. Navy blue interior, top, silver body. It started Talkin' to Fritz, & lo & behold, shortly thereafter it was HIS, & the Babyshyte Special was ADIOS. Fritz went to pick up Miss Izzy, & made a DREADFUL mistake-He left the Window sticker layin' on the back seat. It was something like $10,243.79, she saw THAT & blew TWO gaskets ! She was one of these who thought that if you DIDN'T save a dollar & a quarter outta EVERY Dollar you made, you would LIKELY end up Going to H3!!, in a Handbasket. She was SO tight w/money, she SQUEAKED when she walked.. "FRITZ !! Are You Outta yr MIND ?!?... TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A CAR ?!? It took her about a month to cool off after that. Worst thing was, I guess, poor Fritz only got to drive his junior grade Aircraft Carrier about 18 months, & then my Dad & Uncle Karl took his keys away. It REALLY wasn't safe for him to drive anymore. I still have that Caddy, '73 w/35K ACTUAL on it.. I would be happy to GIVE it to any of you who agree to the following-Keep it Clean, & Keep it FED. It gets 6 MPG in town, & a rousing 8-9 on the Hiway... Took ME going as hard as I could, literally ALL DAY LONG to properly clean it, inside & out...