View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaWelch View Post
I like old, antique and vintage things. Whenever I saw one of those things I would think how life was back then. It's like being transported back to when there is no internet and life is moving slowly.
I can see that I just picked up a mid century Hallicrafters S120 AA4 gen coverage radio for a vintage bedside radio,

I have it converted to a diode from selenium 1/2wave and new style electrolytics , RF/IF aligned and working now and some audio signal path caps to finish to take down some AA5 hum at the 50C5 control grid and maybe NOS RCA or GE tubes because I can and some othert film caps just because ,

my next inmate will be a 1937-1939 Zenith 8-12 tube big round black sweep dial pre war AM /SW and maybe a 1947 to 1954 or something Zenith Transoceanic H500 model AA5 tube radio for the vintage gear here but some of thwe higher 8+ tube count old pre war Zenith are a better AM/shortwave within it's coverage than any of these AA5 radios and most other consumer radio and some comm radio on AM since and they can hold thier own on AM with a modern spendy comm.SW /VHF radio today if it's set up well .

I just want the working or fixable old 1937-1939 Zenith hammertone copper finished chassis for a steampunk look and the working radio of course like I had in H.S. ,that pre war Zenith steampunk chassis was way cool SRSLY and worked better than my Hallicrafters and National comm radios on AM .back then

SRSLY that was the pinnacle of AM consumer radio then

The TV in here is a retina searing new 4K HDR 1000 + Samsung SUHD QDOT LCD and a similar but much tamer 2015 Sony Triluminos 4K HDR in the family cinema room and both have the requisite nice 5.1/7.1 AVR + speakers external audio systems .

I like some pre war or mid century vintage or steampunk but only specific vintage electronics like the old Zenith 1937-1939 radios a transoceanic H500 since the bombers are a fortune now and maybe a late 1940's early 50's AA5 RCA globetrotter and only for 1960's the Hallicrafters model below and like that but only a general coverage radio and only a couple of them .

I have SDR radio and SDR web radio for difficult coverages and trus`me these radios can't do all that 24/7 and sensitive like the right SDR or SDRweb radio .

click image to enlarge :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s_120.jpg (44.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-10-2017 at 02:00 AM. Reason: image