View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Not sure how I got here.

That's a pretty good deal there. I'm happy for you - Sharp is a pretty decent company. I use to do factory repairs for them in the early 80's and the tv's were really good sets. I got an old '84 25" simulated wood grain portable and like it so much that when another was available on CL nearly 3 hours away I got it ASAP. The guy couldn't figure why I got the Sharp and not the fancier Sony. I also worked on their early microwave ovens, and their deathatrons were double covered with a metal shield, and on the warranty stuff we were to destroy the ovens that showed any signs of high leakage. In those days leakage was in the .01 watt. By contrast the Panasonic ovens were only shielded by the outer cabinet. In theory well shielded, but you could turn on a Sharp out of the cabinet. Do that with a Panasonic and you fry yer fishies.... Back then Sharps problems were limited to flybacks and a few power transistors. The Panasonics had some pretty bizarre power supplies back then and had a range of problems. Now in modern times some of us hold 2watt microwave mini-ovens next to our brains for hours on end...... and what did someone say we're not getting any smarter....