View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 10:20 AM
Administrator

After 11 years of ownership, the '85 Chevy van that we called "Patches", burned up in an underhood fire . I owed my whole life to that van. Saw my kids from diapers to teenagers.

My stepson borrowed it to move stuff with, and he couldn't get it started. It was raining sideways over by his place, and I figured something got wet. I got it running, and figured the water would work itself out, which it did. Stopped for gas, and there was an occasional miss, but everything seemed to be okay....until it backfired hard, shot flames out the tailpipe, and stalled at a light, where I saw a wisp of smoke come from under the hood. I told him "GET OUT", popped the hood, and the flames rolled out

As you can see, the damage was extensive, but I decided I was gonna fix it anyway. This van was my baby. I removed the plugs, cleaned out all the debris, removed everything that was melted and burned, then pulled and bench tested the starter and reinstalled it with wiring to roll the engine over.

The engine was locked up solid. With sagging rear springs, rusted brake lines, nonexistent lower control arm bushings, cracked windshield, and a body that was starting to rust badly....it was time to call it done.

This week, I invested $400 into a '96 Grand Caravan with 187K. Runs great and the body's pretty rust free, just a little bruised up. I put some tires on it yesterday, and I'll need to work on a few little issues....but all in all it seems to be a good solid ride. And I won't have to fill my Cadillac DTS with crap at ETF, I'll drive this instead.

It's really hard to let go of Patches, but she's just too far gone. Anyone need any full size van parts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12072755_10206839609702358_7254835977996100010_n.jpg (51.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6549.jpg (126.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6559.jpg (113.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6678.jpg (90.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6679.jpg (75.9 KB, 21 views)