View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith 29JC20!!! GO FOR IT!!!

That set is the exceptionally nice Zenith 29JC20, which was Zenith's first 60s roundie. As I recall, J-series was about 1962. Yes, it did use two rectifier tubes instead of "hat" diodes. The rectifiers were 3DG4's. As I recall, it used a 21FBP22 CRT with separate, curved safety glass, and the "FB" tube was immune from "cataracts" because its safety glass was a separate piece which was not laminated to the face of the tube with resin as the later 21FJP22's safety glass was. Its safety glass was merely set into the mask before the CRT was installed, held in place by the CRT mounting brackets and cushioned around the edges. That set was built like a tank, as were all of the Zenith roundie models from the 29JC20 to the 25NC33. I've serviced several of these, mostly 26KC20's, 24MC32's, and 25NC33's. Even if there's a booster on that "FB" it's worth the cost of a re-gunning. That set is a true CLASSIC. Even the later solid state sets Zenith made during the 70s were legendary for their quality. I had a 19EC45 in my room during most of my teenage years, bought at a garage sale for $5 from someone who had no idea how simple the issue was that had stopped that set from working.