View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
I question why FM is still using the same technology developed in the '50's. Why not go full digital with 5.1 using frequencies in the 900 Mhz to 1 Ghz range? Why not convert standard AM to DRM (digital radio mondial) reducing channel allocations and providing high fidelity stereo sound? Once you've heard DRM you'd wonder why it isn't in wide use. I'd also increase transmitter power.
Transmitter Power would be less, reception glitchy in cars. And sound quality would be horrible. And you'd have to replace millions of receivers. FCC went with backwards compatible HD Radio and 900 Mhz would be filled with interference from so many consumer wireless devices using the spectrum. Not all content is in 5.1 either. Not a good idea. DRM on SW broadcast channels I am in favor of as a means of reviving SW listening. On AM again, get rid of NRSC, ban HD and use full bandwidth and require quality tuner sections.

However, I would like to see a new added second FM band in some vacated TV spectrum post repacking. Then your DRM suggestion would make sense. And 5.1 capability could be built into that standard. It could be a second tuner add on for existing radio set owners. Digital radio still has downsides however, portable sets are battery eaters, and much more expensive to run. I would love to see the new DRM FM second band have adaptive bandwidth (and second or third channels) and narrow band channels for talk and voice content. A vacated TV channel or two would make spectrum sense for this. Don't abandon HD Radio on FM as the two coexist and existing tuners still function.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 03-27-2017 at 06:13 PM.