View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 03:42 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
Well their quality degraded severely by 1990 when I bought two of them. I think Mother still has one of them in case of power loss. It's good enough to pick up strong local stations but they are el cheapo extreme. Also the tuning caps on mine were very stiff and hard to fine tune.

Next time (if there is a next time) I see an "old" (70's) Flavoradio I'll pick it up and give it a shot.
I had an RS "Flavoradio" (in a sky-blue cabinet) for years as well, but unfortunately it got lost when I moved here 10.5 years ago. Don't know what happened to it. Probably got pitched with a bunch of other stuff being thrown out of the house (I wasn't there when the house I grew up in was being cleaned out in preparation for sale; long story and OT for this thread).

I don't know how often the Atlanta area or the New Orleans area (wherever your mother lives today) has power outages, but she will be ready for the next one, if and when...maybe. I say "maybe" because I wonder just how much emergency info she will hear over the radio. Wasn't there a discussion here just before the DTV transition addressing the fact that radio is utterly useless these days in emergencies, because radio stations no longer broadcast local emergency information--despite the fact that they must have EAS (Emergency Alert System) monitoring gear? I would think your mother's Flavoradio would be worse than useless in any emergency worse than a power outage these days for that reason.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-26-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Audiokarma